photoTrainer Spotlight: Shannon Johnson

How long have you been coaching?
I earned my Crossfit Level 1 certification in July 2010.  I started coaching in Sept 2010 at another Crossfit gym.  In Feb 2012, I saw the error of my ways and made my way to Ultimate Crossfit and have been here since then. During my coaching career, I have also earned certifications in Crossfit Endurance, Crossfit Gymnastics, and received certification in the Crossfit Coach’s Prep Course.

Athletic background?
I was a competitive gymnast for 10 years.  I competed in track and field in high school and cheered.  I was also a cheerleader at the University of South Carolina.  Go Cocks!!  (If this were a verbal interview, I would sing the fight song for you!)

What class/time of day are people likely to find you coaching?
You can find me at UCF coaching in the morning.  I am usually there between 6-8am.

What is your favorite WOD or lift?
I like most of the bar movements such as pull-ups, toes to bar, bar muscle ups, etc.  As a gymnast, bars was my favorite event.  I just loved to swing on the bars and I still think it is fun!  Strangely, this enjoyment has not translated in the same way to the rings.

If you could perfect any skill or movement, which would it be?
As an athlete, I continue to work on my Olympic lifting skills.  In particular, the snatch causes the most challenges for me.  I am pleased to say that I accomplished a long time goal of a body weight snatch in Oct, but I still have a lot of work to do to feel skilled at Olympic lifting.

What do you do outside of the gym (occupation, hobbies, etc.)?
I am frequently asked if I have a “real job.”  The answer is yes- I am the Vice President of Carolinas Hospitalist Group for Carolinas Healthcare System.  By year end, our group will cover 15 hospitals and be comprised of 200 providers.  It is very demanding with many long days.  Crossfit is my outlet for fun and stress relief.  Sadly, there is not too much time for many other things.

What is your favorite thing about coaching UCF?
As a coach, my favorite thing is seeing people improve.  I love seeing an athlete get a new skill or improve on a skill.  I love that moment when you give the perfect cue and it just clicks with the person you are working with and suddenly they just understand.

Most memorable moment at UCF – personal, coaching or otherwise?
My most memorable moment would still be the first time I shadowed at UCF and I worked with our fearless leader, Lance Breeden.  Lance was coaching an athlete on T2B and assisting with her kip.  He was providing “tactile” cues and reached in just at the wrong moment and inadvertently touched a body part that he shouldn’t have.  He followed up with me to make sure that I understood that wasn’t really how we did things here at UCF.  “You can touch the bacon…”

Tags:

10 Responses to “”

1. Alex P
    February 4, 2013 at 8:55 am #

We are so lucky to have you Shannon! So talented and so motivating.

2. Liz Naum
    February 4, 2013 at 1:48 pm #

Looove coach Shannon!!! She’s a rock star!

3. Cagney
    February 4, 2013 at 4:06 pm #

Shannon is the bomb!!! So glad you came to your senses and came to UCF!! :)

4. Carter
    February 4, 2013 at 5:09 pm #

Shannon is the Business. Rock on, kid!

5. Bill
    February 5, 2013 at 1:37 pm #

that is one awesome chick, glad to say she’s one of ours.

6. Hirst
    February 5, 2013 at 7:35 pm #

In some circles she’s known as “The Truth” in others, “The Talent”!

7. Nancy
    February 9, 2013 at 7:52 am #

Why do I think we have the best trainers of any Crossfit gym in the area? Because we do. Just more proof of it!

8. Cdub
    February 12, 2013 at 3:54 pm #

Shannon is one of those coaches who isn’t too loud, but when she does speak people really listen! I have very much enjoyed seeing and being coached by her when I do make in occasionally in the mornings…

9. Silver Fox
    February 14, 2013 at 5:53 am #

It’s very rare to find someone that gets as much joy as Shannon does in helping others improve. I have seen time and time again the astonishment on people’s faces after she has helped master a movement or hit a PR that a few minutes before they thought impossible. And while Shannon does love the Ultimate community, she is a fierce competitor when the timer starts. Great coach. Great athlete.

10. Cameron
    February 17, 2013 at 10:05 am #

She’s definitely fixed a long list of things on me! When people compliment my toes-to-bar, I say, “thanks, they are Shannons.” I often come in to workout and see someone doing a movement and say, “Shannon, go fix this on her,” and she’s always up to the challenge and not only fixes, but encourages. She makes so many of us better and I think she will admit the athletes here are so hungry to be coached to become better also! If you haven’t noticed, Shannons gotten quite strong and even beastier from joining us a year ago! So glad you are here!