I had this friend, who would not stop talking about this gym.  Let me be clear — he would not stop talking about this gym.  I thought that he must be getting paid for bringing folks in or something.  He’d talk about the challenging workouts — and the people!  He talked about how great you all were.  I tried it hoping that he would cease and desist from talking about his fascination with this gym.   For the record, it didn’t work . . . and now I’m the one telling friends and strangers about this “box.”

This is not a love at first WOD story.  Lance made me stop half way through the intro class. I had recently “run” a half marathon and could rock out 90 minutes of hot yoga– but 10 minutes of that WOD WORE ME OUT!  And then Lance sealed the deal — he told me that I wouldn’t come back!  He reasoned “lawyers are wimps!”

After a few days of recovering, I decided that I had to prove Lance wrong.  There were only a few problems: 1) I couldn’t do a push up, 2) a pull-up was a challenge on the big purple band, 3) my coordination was lacking – and 4) I had no upper body strength.  But I couldn’t let Lance get away with that!

With a LOT of patience from the trainers and encouragement from other athletes – I’ve been able to do what I’d thought was impossible – prove LANCE wrong!  EXHIBIT A: 150 pushups in one WOD, EXHIBIT B: 6 dead hang pull-ups, and EXHIBIT C: I picked up more than my body weight (ok it was on a dead lift – but I’ll take it!)  Physically I’ve improved leaps and bounds, and I can’t wait to get stronger and see how much more crow I can make Lance eat.

Name: Ellie
Crossfitting since: March 2010
How often: 4 times per week
Favorite workout: 300
Least favorite: Any workout with HSPU and SNATCHES! (Sorry Mie, I hope we can still be friends)
Personal crossfit goal: More than 100 lbs over my head
Who at the gym you admire the most: Dee and Mie.  Both personify the slogan “Strong is Beautiful” and that means inside and out! Dee gives her 100 % every workout and Mie shows how determination and perseverance can move lots of weight!
Favorite workout jam: Anything I can dance to!
Slogan for my t-shirt: Lawyers are NOT wimps!  Exhibit A!  (There would of course be lots of fine print, and heretofores!)

Why Ultimate:
This gym has not only made me a stronger athlete, this gym has made me a stronger person.   It wasn’t that long ago that I gingerly entered the door to Ultimate CrossFit as a shy woman lacking in self confidence.  I saw you all throwing around some big weight – and thought “NO WAY!”  But I met great trainers who believed in me and great athletes who wanted me to succeed just as much as they wanted to succeed themselves and who cheer me on when I’m the last person to finish a wod!  I’m happy to say, that when I see big weight now or a difficult “WOD” in daily life, I take a breath and give a shot!  I’m all in, thanks to you.

Lance’s Official Retraction – Oyez, Oyez, Oyez, I formally retract any and all prior statements allegedly made in the past regarding lawyers and their status as wimps.  Heretofore, lawyers such as Tim have exemplified wimp-like qualities, but Ellie has proven me demonstrably wrong on multiple fronts, thereby requiring me to revise my definition of wimps to exclude Ellie, although still including Tim.  I was being slightly facetious when I said that lawyers were wimps, but I’m glad you were able to use it as motivation to progress to the point you’re at today.

Disclaimer: The preceding paragraph does not necessarily reflect the views of Ultimate Crossfit, its trainers, members, or affiliates.  All federal, state, and local laws apply.  No purchase necessary, void where prohibited.  Odds of winning, 1:5,138,133.

Tags:

18 Responses to “”

1. Hirst
    January 6, 2011 at 8:10 am #

Love it Ellie! You crush it every time you walk through the door. 100 pounds overhead is definitely on its way!!! Keep kicking butt!!!

2. Beth
    January 6, 2011 at 8:55 am #

Ellie – We have not met but congrats, from one non-wimpy lawyer to another. Keep killing it in there!

Lance – Welcome to my shit list.

3. Christa
    January 6, 2011 at 11:39 am #

Hahaha! Love this! Keep up the great work Ellie! I hadn’t realized that you weren’t AWESOME at the upper body stuff! No joke, everytime we’ve done pullups together, you rock them out while I’m struggling on the green (might as well be the big purple) band:) And of course, you do all this after running some sort of race beforehand. Thus, kicking ass, in my opinion;)

4. Meg
    January 6, 2011 at 11:55 am #

Ellie this sounds so much like my story too! Congrats on all your success, keep kicking butt and taking names!

5. mie
    January 6, 2011 at 12:48 pm #

Please note that Ellie has already put 100 pounds over head! She’s amazing like that. And she’s funny too. What a hilarious testimonial! We are so lucky to have you at the gym!!!!

6. Whitney Preslar
    January 6, 2011 at 1:12 pm #

Girl you are an amazing person and friend! No upper body strength? I dream of having your buff arms ;)

7. Jaye
    January 6, 2011 at 4:51 pm #

Ellie is a total badass and definitely not a wimp. Way to go, girl!

8. Megs
    January 6, 2011 at 4:53 pm #

This is SOOOO funny. Love it! Ellie, girl, you ROCK!! And I think if we had gym superlatives you would get ‘Best Arms.’ Though Lizzy ‘Menace 2 Sobriety’ might fight you for it…

Now I’m seriously worried about Lance’s safety if he’s on Beth’s shit list…

9. Nance
    January 7, 2011 at 12:07 am #

I remember the first time I saw Ellie training at UCF she looked like fit runner but a little on the frail side and uncoordinated. I was, however, struck by the determined look on her face. She exuded an attitude that “nothing is going to stop me” from day one. It took her very little time to become one of the people I most admire at UCF.

Ellie, your determination and effort are second to none, as are your results. People like you inspire me to work harder because it reminds me of how much someone can achieve if they put their mind to it. I’m glad you’re a part of the gym!

Oh, for the record, I do agree with Lance about Tim being a wimp but it has nothing to do with him being a lawyer. I have feared Beth and Ellie for quite some time…although I have to admit Beth frightens me more.

10. LB
    January 7, 2011 at 8:58 am #

Oh boy. It was a joke! Lawyers are NOT wimps… Did you see my retraction??? If there is one place I do NOT want to be it is on Beth’s shit list. I repeat – lawyers are not wimps, but they definitely do not have the best sense of humor either. : )

11. Tim
    January 8, 2011 at 9:25 am #

Sorry for being a wimp. I’d apologize for ruining the repuation of lawyers, but lets face facts, there isn’t much to ruin.

I’ll try my darndest to be less of a wimp in the future.

On a wholly unrelated, non-grudgebearing note: Lance, when are we sparring???

12. Tim
    January 8, 2011 at 9:28 am #

Oh yeah,

…and Ellie IS, in fact, a badass. As someone who works with her, I can attest that the amount of confidence she’s gained is evident in and out of the gym.

13. Ellie
    January 8, 2011 at 2:47 pm #

You all are great! Thank you all for the encouragement at every workout. I know there’ve been at least a dozen where your encouragement has willed my chin over the bar :)

Now is it true Tim and Lance will be sparring soon? When will that be? Tim I’d make sure to have Lance some paperwork and some waivers of some sort.

14. BRuss
    January 10, 2011 at 8:05 am #

Notice how LB hasn’t chimed back in on sparring with you, Tim. Although I can’t blame him- if you spar anything like you train, he’s in for a beating. And as for Ellie- I’ll have to second Nance’s first impression. I remember doing your fundamentals, Ellie, and you just wanted to do a punch card and come in every now and then. Now look at you.

15. Kristen
    January 12, 2011 at 10:25 am #

Very impressive, Ellie! Glad you proved Lance wrong:)

16. JP
    January 14, 2011 at 10:39 am #

Ellie, what a great, funny and inspiring testimonial! I alway enjoy working out with you and you definitely give 110% in everything you do! Keep up the hard work!

17. Nancy (the absentee, not by choice)
    January 15, 2011 at 9:59 am #

OK. What I want to know is which one of you rocking female attorneys has the UNC LAW Tshirt that says “Be the Lawyer your parents wanted you to Marry!” I thought that was awesome, and it pretty much said it all.

18. Chris (like Nancy, absentee not by choice)
    January 17, 2011 at 8:27 pm #

Ellie you rock! I truly enjoy training with you and know that you can rock the runs for sure! Can’t wait to get back and start working out with you again. Great job!!